The Art of Photojournalism

Image One
Photograph taken by: Timothy O'sullivan

Year Created: 1871

Keep it Simple:
The photographer's image is simple. The center of the photograph displays a river between rocky boulders shadowing light through to the image. The landscape of the Colorado River  has multiple contrasts that highlight the different principles. 
Rule of Thirds:
Timothy O'sullivan subject is in the middle of the frame. Each third also displays different lines and textures of the landscape that could draw in multiple main focuses. Meanwhile, two outer thirds surrounding the river are symmetrical, yet have a asymmetrical balance.  The bottom left man in the wooden boat appears as if he's resting after sailing through the river with his mast closed. 
Obvious Main Subject:
I believe the main subject is the entire photograph. Either way you look at this photograph there's detail throughout in depth and distance. On one third there's a man in a wooden boat. However, he blends in the image, when you focus on the contrast in shadows on the rocky walls leading a pathway down the river. 
Why I chose this image:
I chose this image because the scenery is breath taking. The way the light is shining off the river displays the flow of the river, hugged by the Grand Canyons mountain walls. The view is very detailed yet tranquil.

Image two
Photograph taken by: Mary Delaney Cooke

Year Created: 1946
Feelings:
When I saw this image, it brought a lot of heart wrenching emotions. All these women have similar hair cuts that were most likely given by hospital staff. . The woman who appears to be in right vertical third corner is the main focus who captures your eye by her depression and frail body. Its horrifying to see how psychiatric patients were once treated.
 Abstractions: 
 Majority of the women in this photograph are sitting, fetal positioned, while one who is standing is within the crowded hospital. The main focus guides your eye off centered. However, the content trumps technical quality. 
Depth of Field:
The depth of field guides your eyes down the corridor beginning with the woman sitting on the bench followed by multiple other patients lined up along the walls. The depth feels overwhelming with all the overcrowding female patients in complete despair. 
Why I chose this image?
I chose this image because I have a lot of passion for psychiatric patients. I currently work on a psychiatric unit and my dream becoming a psychiatric nurse, This image was taken at Ohio's Cleveland State Mental Hospital where men, women, and children would be placed for any condition that were not perceived sane.  The inhumane treatment that occurred at these type of facilities is devastating. 

Image Three
Photograph taken by: Werner Bischoff
Year Created: 1952
Expression:
 The main child that is featured in this photograph is looking out into the distance, with fear and uncertainty trying to keep warm. The child in the middle has is arms crossed as if he's the protector of the group. Lastly, the boy farther back appears to be more relaxed looking at the photographer caught off guard.
Background Compliments:
 Each third surrounding the children are brick walls. The lines of the brick buildings ties in the photograph drawing the attention to the three boys. The lines between the bricks are all horizontal leading to the main focus of the image.
Black and White:
This image was taken during the Korean War. During this time black and white photography was the preferred method as color photography developed shortly after. The black, grey and white tones in this image creates an abstract visual engaging the eye to focus on the children.
Why did I choose this image?
As I was looking through Werner Bischoff photography, this image really stood out to me the most.  The horror children and families experienced during the Korean War is absolutely heart wrenching. I can't help but wonder more about these children in the image. Are they waiting for someone or are they orphans finding a safe place to stay?

Comments